This roast would be great for a vegan Christmas meal or a Sunday lunch. It’s simple to make but much less time consuming if you have a food processor! Since I don’t have one, this recipe uses the traditional methods of chopping and mashing!
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 min
- 500 grams butternut
- 1 aubergine
- 4 shallots
- 1 red pepper
- 90g pitted red and black olives
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs chopped garlic
- 400g chickpeas in a tin (drained)
- 100g almonds
- 100g pistachios
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Chop up the butternut, aubergine, shallots and red pepper into small chunks and put them into a casserole dish
- Mix in the olive oil so that all veggies are covered
- Pop the casserole dish into the oven and roast the veggies for 30 minutes
- While the veggies are roasting start chopping the olives, almonds, pistachios and garlic add that to a separate bowl
- Drain the tin of chickpeas and add that to the bowl
- When the veggies in the casserole dish are done, take them out the oven and grab your potato masher and start mashing the veggies until the butternut starts smoothing out a bit
- Add your ingredients from the bowl into the casserole dish and mix everything together
- Add your breadcrumbs, parsley, rosemary and thyme to the casserole dish and mix together
- Put the casserole dish back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
For a whole bunch of veggies thrown together, this tastes pretty amazing! The texture of the nuts with the variety of tastes make this a great meal.