I’d recently discovered a very tasty, easy to make vegan snack that is quite versatile with flavours. Roasted chickpeas are healthy, with a kick of protein in them and will leave you feeling a lot less peckish!
Total cooking time: 40 minutes including prep
- 2 Cans of chickpeas (400g net weight)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp peri-peri spice
- A couple shakes of mixed herbs
- Crank up the heat in the oven to 180°C
- While the oven is heating up, prepare your chickpeas
- Drain the chickpeas in a strainer and lay them out on a clean kitchen towel
- Absorb as much of the chickpea liquid as you can so that they are quite dry (this helps with the crunchy texture)
- Put the chickpeas in an ovenproof dish or baking tray
- Pour the olive oil over them, making sure they are all covered in olive oil
- Pop them in the oven for 30 minutes
- Once they are cooked, they should be browned on the outside
- Add the peri-peri spice and mixed herbs to the chickpeas and mix well
The roasted chickpeas are delicious fresh out of the oven: crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. If you save them for later, they have a bit of a chewier texture but still equally tasty.