Roast beef is a great meal for a traditional Sunday lunch. Making this meal definitely reminds me of having Sunday lunches with my family and I had to try and make it for myself.
I had to ask my mom exactly how she makes her roast beef gravy. Her gravy recipe tastes amazing and I really had no idea how to make the gravy at all, since this is my first beef roast.
So, this recipe is courtesy of my mother and her great roasts.
- 500g Mini beef round roast (28 day matured prime cut)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 250 ml boiling water
- A handful of baby potatoes
- 1 Large carrot
- A handful of mushrooms
- 100g Cauliflower
- 1 tbsp Flour
The meat and veggies:
- Warm the oven to 230 degrees Celsius
- In an oven proof dish, add the meat in the center
- Pour the water around the roast
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil on top of the meat
- Grind some salt and pepper on the meat
- Cover the meat dish with tin foil
- Leave the meat in the oven for 20 minutes
- After the 20 minutes, lower the oven heat to 180 degrees Celsius
- Chop up your veggies and throw them into an oven proof dish, drizzle with olive oil and put it in the oven
- Continue roasting the meat for another 20 minutes
- Once the meat is ready (should take about 40 – 45 minutes for a mini roast) transfer the meat into a separate oven proof dish (yes, I used three oven proof dishes)
- If you like your meat well done, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and pop it back in the oven for 10 minutes
- Take the meat juices from the oven proof dish that the meat was just in and take a heaped tbsp flour and mix into the juices, add in a touch of boiling water to make the gravy consistency a bit less thick
- Mix the gravy thoroughly till the flour is mixed in well and not lumpy
- Add a grind of pepper in the gravy
- When you are ready to dish up, carve the meat and serve!
This meal is delicious and luckily not too much effort is required to make it.