This is one of my favourite comfort foods that I haven’t made in a few years and took some time to remember how to make it. I remembered a few tips and tricks around it to make it better next time, so I am adding them in here. Next time I will have hopefully mastered it further!
- 1 Pint of milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 400g Chopped mushrooms
- 400g Spinach
- A few sheets of lasagna
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 200g grated cheese
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a pan, chop and fry up the mushrooms on the stove on high heat with some olive oil
- In a pot, boil the spinach on a high heat for 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted
- Strain the spinach and take the mushrooms off the stove once they are browned
- Now that the bulk of the ingredients are ready, time for the bechamel sauce.
- To make the bechamel sauce, the easiest way is to make it in the microwave on high heat:
- Add the flour, milk and butter into a glass microwavable jug
- Microwave for 5 minutes, take it out and stir
- Thereafter, take it out and stir every 2 minutes
- When it is almost ready it will start foaming
- Take it out of the microwave before it foams over the rim of the jug and stir
- Continue until the sauce is thick
- Once the sauce is ready, in a cassorole dish add half the mushrooms and spinach
- Pour half the bechamel sauce into the dish over the mushrooms and spinach
- Add a layer of lasagna
- Add the rest of the mushrooms and spinach to the dish and pour the rest of the bechamel sauce
- Sprinkle cheese over the top
- Bake the lasanga for 30 minutes
Serve and enjoy!
Optimisations from inital try
- I didn’t add enough mushrooms first time round, so I doubled this amount. The mushrooms shrink when you cook them.
- I also didn’t realise how much the spinach would shrink once it is cooked, so instead of adding it straight onto the lasanga sheets I would boil them next time and add double.
- I tried the method of making bechamel sauce over the stove and it flopped. My gran’s tried and trusted method of making it in the microwave never fails.
- Make a second jug of bechamel sauce if you want to add an extra layer of lasanga sheets!